Finals Are Just Around The Corner!by Dr. Liz on 12/01/11
How did it get to be December already? The good news is that in just a few short weeks your semester will be over. The bad news is....in just a few short weeks you will have multiple final exams. This can be a stressful and overwhelming time for anyone, but particular for those of us with ADHD. You may have just gotten into the swing of your routine and now you have to modify it to get through your finals. Here are a few tips for making it through:
1. Start studying now. Research shows that studying in short periods over several days is a much more effective memory strategy than cramming it all into a short period. Even if you think you don't have time right now, I recommend spending 30 minutes on each subject this week.
2. Make a study schedule. Think about how long you might need to review for each of your classes and add up all those hours. Then, look at your schedule and mark out times to fit in all those hours.
3. Give yourself at least 1 day extra. We ADDers often miscalculate how long it will take us to accomplish something. This can really put you in a bind at this point in the semester. If you can't carve out one full day, I suggest carving out at least two extra hours for each course.
4. Do review questions. Practice questions have been found to be the most helpful in making sure you remember information. Those flashcards are great.....to a point. But, you may find that you need to get your brain thinking in a different mode. Practice questions, which are usually at the end of your chapters, are a great way to do this.
5. Reward yourself! If you stick to your schedule, you deserve a reward. It's so easy to get distracted or lose track of time. If you can get through these next two weeks, you will absolutely deserve a reward. Tel yourself that you will buy yourself that extra special dessert, new CD or video game IF you reach your study goals. This little extra incentive will make your accomplishment all the more real:)